Wednesday, June 08, 2005

RED HOT CHRISTMAS

I used to work in a large, open office and we all looked forward each year to our annual Christmas party. One such party was truly unforgettable to those of us who were there because of a fire that broke out on the top of my desk.

Our Christmas parties were always done "pot luck" and all the ladies had prepared their special holiday goodies. My favorite was the Bourbon Balls- those scrumptious, nutty, cake like treats flavored with a liberal quantity of bourbon.

That year, my desk was chosen as the site of the punch bowl. It sat invitingly in the center of the desk and was decorated with running cedar and mistletoe. Tall, red candles were placed on each side and it was a grand centerpiece for the party.

We had all dressed for the occasion and I had on my red plaid, polyester sports jacket and wore my red "Santa Claus" tie that lit up when I pressed a switch hidden in the pocket.

As we stood around the desk sampling the punch, Christmas carols were playing over the public address system and as we looked outside we could see snowflakes just beginning to fall. How perfect !

Then someone said loudly, "I smell smoke!" I sniffed and said smugly, "No problem, it's just the candles." A second later I felt the heat on my back.

I had leaned backwards while laughing with my friends and one of the candles had ignited the polyester fibers in my jacket causing it to burst into flames.

Thankfully, a quick thinking friend picked up the punch bowl and nearly drowned me as he extinguished the fire with our holiday punch.

Only my dignity suffered injury and we made more punch, but to this day none of them will ever let me forget that Christmas party.

1 Comments:

At Wednesday, October 19, 2005 10:26:00 PM, Blogger Connie Marie said...

I guess you can call that going out with a splash!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home